AmbientTalk is an experimental object-oriented distributed programming language developed at the Software Languages Lab at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium. The language is primarily targeted at writing programs deployed in mobile ad hoc networks.
AmbientTalk is a research platform to experiment with new language features or programming abstractions to facilitate the construction of software that has to run in highly volatile networks exhibiting intermittent connectivity and little infrastructure.
The language's concurrency features are founded on the actor model and have been largely influenced by the E programming language. The language's object-oriented features find their influence in languages like Smalltalk (i.e. block closures, keyworded messages) and Self (prototype-based programming, delegation). Finally, the language has a functional core, inspired by Scheme and Pico.
AmbientTalk's main differences with mainstream languages are that:
· It employs a purely event-driven concurrency framework, founded on actors.
· It abandons the RPC abstraction in favor of asynchronous, non-blocking message passing. Because the system automatically buffers such messages while the receiver of the message is disconnected, the programmer can abstract from temporary network failures by default.
· It has built-in programming language constructs for objects to discover one another in the local ad hoc network. Peer-to-peer service discovery is built into the language.
· It features a dynamic OO kernel language built upon the principles of prototype-based programming. The kernel language supports reflection using mirrors, which provide access to an extensive metaobject protocol, making the language extensible from within itself.
· The language syntax derives primarily from the 'curly brace' family of languages, but it mixes in the keyworded messaging syntax from Smalltalk as well. This, together with AmbientTalk's lightweight block syntax, enables you to easily build your own control structures.
· The current implementation of AmbientTalk embraces the JVM as a platform. It's easy for AmbientTalk programs to use Java libraries, and it's easy for Java objects to use AmbientTalk as an embedded scripting language. This interaction is safe: even when AmbientTalk objects are "exposed" to the JVM, JVM threads cannot violate the concurrency constraints of AmbientTalk's actor model.
AmbientTalk runs on J2SE, J2ME under the connected device configuration (CDC), and Android 2.1 Platform.
Like it? Share with your friends!
Other Java Freeware of Developer «AmbientTalk Team»:
Me Boy Builder 2.2 The latest version of meboy (read gb and gbc roms with transfer of saves via bluetooth), a ultima versio do meboy( aceita gb e gbc roms com transferencia de jogos salvos via bluetooth)
MID4th MID4th - MID4th is an adaptation of WebForth for mobile devices. Program in Forth and time warp back to the eighties. The system supports persistent block sets, and it is possible to develop on the device itself. I have added some features for text entry to help with limited keyboard handling within MIDP-2.0
Hecl Hecl The Hecl Programming Language is a high-level, open source scripting language implemented in Java. It is intended to be small, extensible, extremely flexible, and easy to learn and use. Infact, it's small enough that it runs on J2ME-enabled cell phones!
Why Hecl? Hecl is intended as a complement to the Java programming language, not a replacement
AppCat iPhone App Maker AppCat iPhone App MakerMake your own app by email in 7 minutes. It's revolutionary. It's free. It's app democracy! It's your Oprah-moment: "Apps for everybody!". Pick from 30 professional designs, reply to a few emails from Kitty, the app.cat, and impress friends, customers, and competitors
db4o db4o - db4o is the open source object database that enables Java and .NET developers to slash development time and costs and achieve unprecedented levels of performance
Global Innovation India Graphic Designing, Web Development, Software Development, SEO
Discover the Global Innovation Index (GII): Ranking the world's countries and economies through innovational measures, environments, and outputs
Instant Mobile Website Creation Instant Mobile Website Creation - Software for Instant Mobile Website Creation. Download this free software and create an unlimited number of mobile websites and be part of the mobile revolution that takes place on the internet right now. The software allows you to produce as many pages and subpages as you like
MiniME MiniME is a light weight J2ME library that lets you build games and advanced UI.
· a resource manager to easily import and use Image and Text.
· event manager to ease communication between view and different component of the library.
· a set a predefined UI component, such as Label, EditField, RadioButton group, CheckBox group, to build UI
W3DGL W3DGL - This library (distributed as .java file) combines the essential features of mobile 3D graphics in a very small engine so searching standard features in the huge API is obsolete. You create Triangles and Quads, which only require three (four) vectors and an image object (for texturing) as arguments, and add them to an instance of Engine
Comments on AmbientTalk:
Comments not found
JavaMobiles - Free Java games download for mobile phones. Java Applications, Software, JAR, Apps for Nokia, Samsung, touch screen, 240x320 screen