Nokia Mobile Communities provides a unique way to connect with people by creating private and public communities. Private communities, called Conversations, help you connect with friends, families and coworkers. Public communities, called Streams, allow you to follow people and topics that matter to you.
With Conversations you can communicate simultaneously with up to ten people by sending a single message, similar to instant messaging. This feature is ideal for short conversations with friends, family, and co-workers (like coordinating a weekend plan or checking how their day is going).
With Streams, you can broadcast messages to your subscribed followers and, likewise, view messages from all people you subscribe to. This feature is intended to create channels for community building and following a topic (e.g. career tips, hyper-local news) or a person (e.g. fan group for a Bollywood star).
It provides a community experience entirely on your mobile phone without any dependency on the PC or Internet. As long as your mobile phone supports SMS you are ready to go! To experience it, download the Java client from this site. If your device is not yet supported or if you are on a non-Nokia device you can still experience the service using the plain SMS interface.
During the beta trial, this service is only available to users in India and English is the only language supported at this time.
· Does not require a user account; the service uses your mobile number to identify you
· No fee for usage, costs only standard SMS rate (even when sending to multiple people)
· UX designed to simplify the messaging experience
· Plain SMS interface for users that don’t have the client or use a non-Nokia phone
· Integrated with your phone’s address book
· Allows users to share their current location (only in certain locations in beta)
What's New in This Release:
· Bluetooth transfer: Next time you want to share this app with your friend so that they can have the same cool experience as you, just share it over Bluetooth. It’s very easy, (i) just click ‘Share application’, (ii) find your friend’s phone and (iii) send. And the best part is that your friends can share it further using the same steps.
· Full editing support: We know how limiting it was to type your messages. We now support the native editor so you can benefit from full functionality editor with T9 and dictionary. Type away now!
· Flag abusive content: For Stream followers, if you find any content to be offensive you can just Flag it. We will take appropriate action if several of you feel the same way.
· Chat with Community Manager: We love to hear from you. So we have introduced a system conversation called ChatWithUs. If you have feedback about the product, you can just type it in this Conversation.
· Updates from Community Manager: We would like to share tips so you can use all the cool features of this app. So we have introduced a system stream called NokiaStream. Watch out for updates from us on this stream.
· Improved categories: In Streams we have an improved category list to make Stream discovery easier and more relevant.
· More location entries: We have added several more location entries and more are coming. Enjoy this feature in Conversations to share your location with friends. Of course you can easily turn it off if you prefer.
· Bug fixes: We have fixed over 100 bugs which means there is even more reason to upgrade to the latest version of this app.