AmbientTalk is an experimental object-oriented distributed programming language developed at the Software Languages Lab at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium. The language is primarily targeted at writing programs deployed in mobile ad hoc networks.
AmbientTalk is a research platform to experiment with new language features or programming abstractions to facilitate the construction of software that has to run in highly volatile networks exhibiting intermittent connectivity and little infrastructure.
The language's concurrency features are founded on the actor model and have been largely influenced by the E programming language. The language's object-oriented features find their influence in languages like Smalltalk (i.e. block closures, keyworded messages) and Self (prototype-based programming, delegation). Finally, the language has a functional core, inspired by Scheme and Pico.
AmbientTalk's main differences with mainstream languages are that:
· It employs a purely event-driven concurrency framework, founded on actors.
· It abandons the RPC abstraction in favor of asynchronous, non-blocking message passing. Because the system automatically buffers such messages while the receiver of the message is disconnected, the programmer can abstract from temporary network failures by default.
· It has built-in programming language constructs for objects to discover one another in the local ad hoc network. Peer-to-peer service discovery is built into the language.
· It features a dynamic OO kernel language built upon the principles of prototype-based programming. The kernel language supports reflection using mirrors, which provide access to an extensive metaobject protocol, making the language extensible from within itself.
· The language syntax derives primarily from the 'curly brace' family of languages, but it mixes in the keyworded messaging syntax from Smalltalk as well. This, together with AmbientTalk's lightweight block syntax, enables you to easily build your own control structures.
· The current implementation of AmbientTalk embraces the JVM as a platform. It's easy for AmbientTalk programs to use Java libraries, and it's easy for Java objects to use AmbientTalk as an embedded scripting language. This interaction is safe: even when AmbientTalk objects are "exposed" to the JVM, JVM threads cannot violate the concurrency constraints of AmbientTalk's actor model.
AmbientTalk runs on J2SE, J2ME under the connected device configuration (CDC), and Android 2.1 Platform.
Like it? Share with your friends!
Other Java Freeware of Developer «AmbientTalk Team»:
Mobtron - create your mobile site in 3 minutes Create your mobile page for FREE in 3 minutes and earn money from the ads you are publishing! Mobtron.com - FREE mobile sites builder. Create your site with chat, downloads, forum in 3 minutes. No programming skills are required. Insert ads and earn money!
Cibyl 20 Cibyl is a programming environment and binary translator that allows compiled C programs to execute on J2ME-capable phones
Ideas Hub Ideas Hub free hosting unlimited. Create and personalize your online presence. Full page hosting and online support to give your products better exposure
bongi dot mobi Build your own free mobi site directly from your phone!
J2MEdit - Source Code Editor Write and compile source code on your Java J2ME mobile device. Develop C++, Java, PHP, and HTML code - With fully highlighted syntax. J2MEdit is the first and only tool that combines the power of a large programming IDE and the portability of a mobile phone to create a small and easy to use source code editor
MIDPDebugger J2ME MIDlet for discovering the mobile device's bugs and features
MiniME MiniME is a light weight J2ME library that lets you build games and advanced UI
Java Programming Java - "An object-oriented programming language (OOPs) developed by Sun Microsystems in the year 1990. All Java apps run using small and compact pieces of code"...
read more FREE articles with this web app
Comments on AmbientTalk:
Comments not found
JavaMobiles - Free Java games download for mobile phones. Java Applications, Software, JAR, Apps for Nokia, Samsung, touch screen, 240x320 screen