AmbientTalk is an experimental object-oriented distributed programming language developed at the Software Languages Lab at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium. The language is primarily targeted at writing programs deployed in mobile ad hoc networks.
AmbientTalk is a research platform to experiment with new language features or programming abstractions to facilitate the construction of software that has to run in highly volatile networks exhibiting intermittent connectivity and little infrastructure.
The language's concurrency features are founded on the actor model and have been largely influenced by the E programming language. The language's object-oriented features find their influence in languages like Smalltalk (i.e. block closures, keyworded messages) and Self (prototype-based programming, delegation). Finally, the language has a functional core, inspired by Scheme and Pico.
AmbientTalk's main differences with mainstream languages are that:
· It employs a purely event-driven concurrency framework, founded on actors.
· It abandons the RPC abstraction in favor of asynchronous, non-blocking message passing. Because the system automatically buffers such messages while the receiver of the message is disconnected, the programmer can abstract from temporary network failures by default.
· It has built-in programming language constructs for objects to discover one another in the local ad hoc network. Peer-to-peer service discovery is built into the language.
· It features a dynamic OO kernel language built upon the principles of prototype-based programming. The kernel language supports reflection using mirrors, which provide access to an extensive metaobject protocol, making the language extensible from within itself.
· The language syntax derives primarily from the 'curly brace' family of languages, but it mixes in the keyworded messaging syntax from Smalltalk as well. This, together with AmbientTalk's lightweight block syntax, enables you to easily build your own control structures.
· The current implementation of AmbientTalk embraces the JVM as a platform. It's easy for AmbientTalk programs to use Java libraries, and it's easy for Java objects to use AmbientTalk as an embedded scripting language. This interaction is safe: even when AmbientTalk objects are "exposed" to the JVM, JVM threads cannot violate the concurrency constraints of AmbientTalk's actor model.
AmbientTalk runs on J2SE, J2ME under the connected device configuration (CDC), and Android 2.1 Platform.
Like it? Share with your friends!
Other Java Freeware of Developer «AmbientTalk Team»:
JJOS Shell JJOS Shell - JJOS is an experimental and educational shell program with extensible functionality. Good for beginner programmers, or simply for curious people. The shell supports cascaded commands, which helps user to type much less and act efficiently
W3DGL W3DGL - This library (distributed as .java file) combines the essential features of mobile 3D graphics in a very small engine so searching standard features in the huge API is obsolete. You create Triangles and Quads, which only require three (four) vectors and an image object (for texturing) as arguments, and add them to an instance of Engine
AlgoMo (Algolight Mobile) Algolight is a programming language that can be used to implement simple mathematical algorithms that operate on variables, vectors and matrices, and includes controls for loops, while loops and if / else structures. The program can also be used as a simple calculator, it supports some trigonometric functions, roots, and logical expressions and relation symbols
CellularBASIC CellularBASIC is an interpreter for the BASIC programming language, designed especially to run as stand-alone application on mobile phones.
· CellularBASIC is a dialect of QBASIC 1
MIDPDebugger J2ME MIDlet for discovering the mobile device's bugs and features
Personal Mobile App Personal Mobile App - Create Mobile App in 2 minutes - Free. Guys, We have just launched a new MakePack(dot)com Mobile Application Creatot, where you can create personal Mobile app in less then 2 minutes
UnicodeMidlet UnicodeMidlet provides a user interface for browsing all of the unicode characters on Java ME phones
Global Innovation India Graphic Designing, Web Development, Software Development, SEO
Discover the Global Innovation Index (GII): Ranking the world's countries and economies through innovational measures, environments, and outputs
WapTo Me Creating a mobile wap site has never been that easy!
Comments on AmbientTalk:
Comments not found
JavaMobiles - Free Java games download for mobile phones. Java Applications, Software, JAR, Apps for Nokia, Samsung, touch screen, 240x320 screen